18 March 2012

The Deodorant Stone

For some reason, I have a particular bug-bear about the waste generated by using deodorant.  I am quite smell-conscious, so would not go without, but hate the thought that I am using a thick plastic container every few months that will then require hundreds, if not thousands of years to break down in landfill.  Since Unilever do not provide refills, if I am to remain an accepted member of my social circles, I have to buy a new pack each time. 

Interestingly, Unilever does have a "Sustainable Living Plan" which suggests they are developing strategies for reducing packaging and providing refills.  See here.  They even boast a Walmart Gold Award for Sustainable Packaging in 2009 for making refill pouches for a shampoo in China.  Hmm.  Would it be churlish of me to suggest they, as a global multinational, could be doing more?  A lot more.  And probably without negatively affecting their brand images.  In fact they could make radical changes and then even the most hardcore eco-conscious would be doffing their caps in respect and buying more of their products.  Well, maybe not.  Sadly, they are not here for our good, or the earth's good, only their own good. 

I discovered the Deodorant Stone while browsing the Natural Clothing catalogue, a small, very ethical company who's woolly baby clothes I adore.  Any natural alternative has to have comparative odour-bashing properties, otherwise, I will just begrudgingly return to Unilever.  It is a crystal made of potassium alum which you wet first then apply.  My 60 g stone looks set to last several months with daily use.  Whatsmore, it looks nice on the bathroom shelf!  No plastic!


Where previously, I was using anti-perspirant deodorants, which I have since learned are the cause of those horrible stains in the armpits of your clothes, that seem to reactivate with sweat, I am now content with this deodorant stone.  It isn't anti-perspirant, but thinking about it, is it healthy to block moisture secretion in this way?  It does what it says on the tin, although I will keep my deo stick in the bathroom cupboard for that rare occasion, say a job interview, where one just can't take any chances.

In the meantime, I will await with interest any research to suggest there may be adverse health consequences associated with using aluminium salts in this way. 

PS Beware any synthetically produced versions.


No comments:

Post a Comment